World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
- Elder abuse refers to intentional or negligent acts by a caregiver or “trusted” individual that causes (or potentially causes) harm to an older adult.
- Elder abuse can occur anywhere–in the home, nursing home or other institutions. It affects seniors across all socioeconomic groups, cultures and races.
- BE CAUTIOUS! Unscrupulous people target seniors and will abuse or take advantage of them.
- STAY CONNECTED! Keep in touch regularly with others. Isolation can make you vulnerable to abuse.
- REPORT! Making a report in instances of abuse or neglect is the right thing to do. Don’t be afraid. Elders have a right to be safe.
- In cases of immediate danger CALL 911. Otherwise you can call Eldercare Locator at 800-677-1116 to connected to your local reporting agency.