Feeling stressed out or anxious is a part of life. But for a person who has an anxiety disorder, those occasional feelings of nervousness or stress can be much more frequent. Anxiety disorders are serious mental health conditions that can significantly affect your day-to-day life.
At CenterPointe Hospital in St. Charles, Missouri, we provide personalized anxiety disorder treatment for adolescents and adults. By receiving compassionate care, you can understand your diagnosis, learn how to identify and manage your symptoms, and work toward living a more fulfilling life.
Signs & Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
Many factors can influence the specific anxiety disorder signs and symptoms a person may struggle with. These symptoms can affect you mentally, physically, and emotionally and may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Increased heart rate
- Constant sense of panic or doom
- Difficulty staying focused
- Restlessness or irritability
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeling consistently weak
- Muscle aches
- Avoidance of certain places or social situations
- Gastrointestinal distress
These anxiety disorder signs and symptoms will vary from person to person. If you notice that one or more of these symptoms is affecting you, it’s important to seek professional help at a qualified anxiety disorder treatment center.
Anxiety Disorder Statistics
The Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) and the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) have compiled some illuminating statistics on how anxiety affects people in the United States.
- Anxiety disorders affect 19.1% of U.S. adults, an estimated 48 million people, according to NAMI.
- Generalized anxiety disorder affects 3.1% of the U.S. population, but only 43.2% of these nearly 7 million people are receiving treatment, per ADAA.
- Women are twice as likely as men to suffer from generalized anxiety disorder.
- Anxiety disorders affect 31.9% of adolescents ages 13-18.
Potential Effects of Anxiety Disorders
Because anxiety disorders affect each person in different ways, there can be a wide variety of potential anxiety effects. Some of the most common anxiety disorder effects include:
- Headaches and chronic pain
- Onset or worsening of other mental health concerns
- Trouble maintaining established relationships or forming new ones
- Frequent trips to the doctor that result in large medical bills
- Social isolation
- Suicidal ideation
- Substance use or abuse
- Difficulty keeping up professionally or academically
The effects of anxiety disorders can be life-altering, debilitating, and devastating. But by seeking evidence-based care at an anxiety disorder treatment place, you can significantly lower your risk for long-lasting consequences.
The Benefits of Anxiety Disorder Treatment
A team of mental health professionals can help you work toward healing. By receiving anxiety disorder treatment, you can learn coping skills that can help you understand the emotions and behaviors that are holding you back.
Other anxiety disorder treatment benefits include:
- Evidence-based therapies
- The opportunity to focus solely on treatment without distraction
- The chance to connect with others
Anxiety disorders can feel extremely isolating. When you seek care at an anxiety disorder treatment center, you may have the opportunity to participate in therapeutic interventions with others who are experiencing similar struggles. Simply discovering that you’re not alone in this process can be immensely important in the healing process.
Choosing the Right Anxiety Disorder Treatment Center
When you’re looking for an anxiety disorder treatment center, the sheer volume of options can be overwhelming. It’s important to know what to look for, and that starts with finding a facility that offers personalized treatment plans.
At CenterPointe Hospital, we’ll provide a thorough assessment before admission that can give us insight into your strengths, current needs, and goals during treatment. By better understanding your medical status and any treatment history, we can develop a personalized anxiety treatment plan that gives you the best chance at the most optimal outcome.
It’s best to develop a set of criteria as you vet anxiety disorder treatment centers. Questions you might ask include:
- How long will the admissions process take, and what does it consist of?
- Is there one level of care, or are there multiple options that can help me progress?
- Do they offer personalized treatment plans?
- Who are the mental health professionals I’ll be working with?
- Is there a plan in place to help me stay on track when treatment ends?
At our anxiety treatment center in St. Charles, Missouri, we have multiple levels of care to meet you where you are on your journey. We streamline our admissions process to get you into treatment quickly, feature a staff of compassionate clinical experts, and offer detailed aftercare plans to help you continue your journey to better health.
Therapies Used in Anxiety Disorder Treatment
Anxiety shows up differently in everyone it affects. That’s why the most effective therapies are those that account for your unique experiences.
When we gather information from your pre-admission assessment, we’ll formulate your personalized anxiety treatment plan. It may include:
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Medication management services
- Detoxification services (for those who have a co-occurring addiction)
- Basic medical care
Your treatment may also incorporate elements of evidence-based methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), motivational interviewing, and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).
If you are struggling with an anxiety disorder, don’t lose hope. By receiving professional intervention from the experts at CenterPointe Hospital, you can begin to find your unique path to better health.
This content was written on behalf of and reviewed by the clinical staff at CenterPointe Hospital.